Skip to main content

My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand

New Zealand is full of beautiful views.

From snow-capped mountains, to untouched beaches, to geothermal wonders, to lush rainforests, to rugged coastlines, to colorful towns… need I go on?

Though it's really difficult to chose my “favorite” views and landscapes in this picturesque country, I've narrowed it down to the 5 that I find to be most memorable.

My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand

Top of the North

Cape Reinga, Northland, New Zealand
Cape Reinga
Te Paki Sand Dunes
Cape Maria van Diemen

The Northland Region of New Zealand — full of beaches, forests, and gently-rolling hills under a big blue sky — has some of my favorite views in the country. Whether it's the golden sand dunes along 90 Mile Beach, the Tasman meeting the Pacific at Cape Reinga, or the towering old kauri trees in nearby forests, Northland has a lot to offer someone who loves nature and the untouched beauty of undeveloped land.

Wellington

Oriental Bay, Wellington, New Zealand
Oriental Bay
Wellington Cable Car
Oriental Bay in Wellington, New Zealand

It's no secret that Wellington — New Zealand's political and cultural capital — is my favorite city in the world. Whether it's taking a stroll along the waterfront, visiting the lookout at the top of Mount Victoria, or riding the historic cable car up to the botanic gardens, some of my favorite views in New Zealand are located right in downtown Wellington. It's no wonder that Lonely Planet once called Welly “the coolest little capital in the world.”

Above the Southern Alps

Flying over the Southern Alps in New Zealand

Southern Alps

There really is nothing quite as breathtaking as soaring over snow-capped mountains and crystal-clear alpine lakes on a perfect, blue-skied day. I had the chance to do just that over New Zealand's craggy Southern Alps between Milford Sound and Queenstown, and it ranks up there as one of my most memorable NZ experiences.

Queenstown

Queenstown, New Zealand

Lake Wakatipu
Queenstown, New Zealand

Queenstown calls itself “New Zealand's Adventure Capital” — and I would have to agree. Here you can do everything from bungy jumping to jetboating to skydiving. But, along with being home to a slew of extreme sports, Queenstown also has some of the most spectacular views of any city in New Zealand. With green hills and the blue waters of Lake Wakatipu set before the backdrop of the Remarkables mountain range, it's hard to imagine wanting to be anywhere else when you're here.

The Wind-Swept Southern Coast

Southern Coast, South Island, the Catlins, New Zealand
The Catlins Coast
Nugget Point in New Zealand
Southern Scenic Route through the Catlins

If you do one road trip in New Zealand, pick this one — the Southern Scenic Route through the Catlins along the coast of the country's South Island. It only takes about a day to drive, but there's so much to see that you could let it last much longer. I wore out my camera battery on this drive, and it's not difficult to understand why with coastlines and landscapes like this.

What are some of YOUR favorite views in New Zealand? Did any of them make my list?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things to do in Nuremberg, Germany: The Ultimate List!

Looking for things to do in Nuremberg, Germany? This list has you covered with everything from the touristy musts to quirkier offbeat finds. Enjoy! I’ll be real: Nuremberg is a place that’s   easy to fall for. This world-famous city, located in the north of Bavaria, is every bit the fairytale dream so often linked to  Deutschland : candy cane half-timbered facades, an epic castle on a hill, dangerously munchable gingerbread, and a glittering Christmas market to boot. But as with most amazing cities, the true magic of Nuremberg comes from its dynamic layers. Lurking beneath those photogenic facades is a dark past intertwined with war, genocide, and centuries of tumultuous history. It is precisely this duality that makes Nuremberg one of the most fascinating cities to visit in Germany, and one that you can keep visiting again and again. So, what is there to do in Nuremberg? It turns out, plenty of things. Below you’ll find a roundup of my favourite things to do in ...

Amanda’s 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers and Travel Lovers

Let me share a little fun fact with you guys about myself: I LOVE Christmas, and especially love picking out the perfect gifts for all the people in my life. I shop year-round for the people I love, and usually have a stash of “ oh, this would be perfect for [insert family member name here] ” gifts come Christmas time. (Tell me I'm not alone here?) If you've got a picky traveler in your life (or if you're like me and never seem to need or want anything specific around the holidays), this gift guide may help you find the perfect present. This list is full of items that I personally use and love , and that I think other travelers will enjoy, too. Most of them are things I've purchased with my own money – nobody has paid me to include an item here, so you can trust that the recommendations are real! So, without further ado, I give you the 2019 edition of Amanda's Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers (and Travel-Lovers)! TRAVEL PACKING MUST-HAVES 1. Con...

The Globe’s 10 Top Food Cities: Why They’re Worth The Trip

The competition to be one of the world’s top food cities is intense. Many cities are famed for a particular dish, or certain restaurant, or specific experience that delights foodie travelers. But only 10 cities make the cut of the crème de la crème of the world’s food destinations. Here are those culinary metropolises, and why they’re the top food cities in the world.