Skip to main content

Ice, Ice, Baby – Glacier Hiking in Alaska

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

I smiled as I dug my crampons forcefully into the ice underfoot. I'd forgot how satisfying that sound and sensation were — maybe even better than crunching through fallen leaves in autumn. Certainly better than the sound of ordinary hiking boots on packed earth.

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

Yes, there's something very special about hiking on ice with metal spikes attached to your feet. Mostly because the scenery usually looks like this:

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Alaska's Matanuska Glacier was not my first glacier hike (last year, I climbed on the Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand). But I'm now convinced that glacier trekking is like bungy jumping: it doesn't matter how many times you do it — it's still guaranteed to be amazing.

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

The morning of this particular glacier hike could not have been more perfect. It was cool and clear — ideal for some outdoor exertion.

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

A group of us set off early from Anchorage, bound for the Sutton area and the Matanuska Glacier. The 2-hour bus ride provided us with countless postcard-perfect mountain scenes, getting us pumped up for our adventure.

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

We arrived at MICA Guides, paid a special access fee for the glacier (it's located on private land), and collected all the gear we'd need for the hike. This included boots, crampons, and helmets — all the safety essentials. Thankfully, this hike would not require rain gear; only sunglasses!

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Our large group split into 3 smaller ones, with 6 of us joining a guide named Alyssa. It's possible to hike out onto the glacier without a guide (and gear, for that matter), however I wouldn't recommend it. Alyssa not only knew the safest ways to cross the ever-shifting ice, but she was also knowledgable about everything from the history of the glacier to the region's geology.

That, and she knew how to use an ice axe to carve out stairs for us.

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska
Me with Alyssa's ice axe.

It's difficult to describe just how awesome glacier trekking is in words. It's nearly impossible to capture the wonder and awe that accompany crunching up alongside hundred-foot ice falls and crawling into blue-white ice caves. I simply can't put it all into sentences that would do the experience justice.

So, instead, I'll show you.

Glacier Trekking

Hiking on a glacier is epic. There's no other word to describe it. If you haven't ever tried it, I highly recommend you consider it. The glaciers won't be around forever (in fact, some are receding so fast that you can't touch them anymore), so there's no better time than now.

This is what the on-ice experience looks like:

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Ice, Ice, Baby

And, of course, glacier trekking wouldn't be possible without the key ingredient: ICE. Tons and tons of ice.

The Matanuska Glacier has a lot of ice. The glacier is 27 miles long and 4 miles wide, and consists of some incredibly cool ice formations. These formations change daily (literally, the ice is in constant motion), but here were some of my favorites:

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

As much as I loved trekking the Franz Josef Glacier last year, I think the Matanuska Glacier may take the award for “coolest glacier hike I've done.” The climb was slightly less challenging than in New Zealand, the weather was far better, and the ice formations (especially that huge ice fall!) were much more awe-inspiring.

Two hours on the ice wasn't anywhere close to enough.

IF YOU GO…

Hiking on the Matanuska Glacier is fairly accessible – you can book a tour from Anchorage, Alaska pretty easily.

Book it: Matanuska Glacier Hike from Anchorage

Which ice photo is your favorite? Does this post make YOU want to hike on a glacier?

 

Pin it for later:

Hiking the Matanuska Glacier in Alaska | Glacier hike in Alaska

 

*Note: My trip to Alaska (including this awesome glacier trek) was sponsored by the Hilton Garden Inn Anchorage. All opinions, however, are entirely my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things to do in Nuremberg, Germany: The Ultimate List!

Looking for things to do in Nuremberg, Germany? This list has you covered with everything from the touristy musts to quirkier offbeat finds. Enjoy! I’ll be real: Nuremberg is a place that’s   easy to fall for. This world-famous city, located in the north of Bavaria, is every bit the fairytale dream so often linked to  Deutschland : candy cane half-timbered facades, an epic castle on a hill, dangerously munchable gingerbread, and a glittering Christmas market to boot. But as with most amazing cities, the true magic of Nuremberg comes from its dynamic layers. Lurking beneath those photogenic facades is a dark past intertwined with war, genocide, and centuries of tumultuous history. It is precisely this duality that makes Nuremberg one of the most fascinating cities to visit in Germany, and one that you can keep visiting again and again. So, what is there to do in Nuremberg? It turns out, plenty of things. Below you’ll find a roundup of my favourite things to do in ...

Amanda’s 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers and Travel Lovers

Let me share a little fun fact with you guys about myself: I LOVE Christmas, and especially love picking out the perfect gifts for all the people in my life. I shop year-round for the people I love, and usually have a stash of “ oh, this would be perfect for [insert family member name here] ” gifts come Christmas time. (Tell me I'm not alone here?) If you've got a picky traveler in your life (or if you're like me and never seem to need or want anything specific around the holidays), this gift guide may help you find the perfect present. This list is full of items that I personally use and love , and that I think other travelers will enjoy, too. Most of them are things I've purchased with my own money – nobody has paid me to include an item here, so you can trust that the recommendations are real! So, without further ado, I give you the 2019 edition of Amanda's Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers (and Travel-Lovers)! TRAVEL PACKING MUST-HAVES 1. Con...

The Globe’s 10 Top Food Cities: Why They’re Worth The Trip

The competition to be one of the world’s top food cities is intense. Many cities are famed for a particular dish, or certain restaurant, or specific experience that delights foodie travelers. But only 10 cities make the cut of the crème de la crème of the world’s food destinations. Here are those culinary metropolises, and why they’re the top food cities in the world.