Skip to main content

Why The East Coast Of Barbados Is, Like, Totally Better Than The West

barbados

The secret’s out: if you truly want to appreciate Barbados, skip the expensive resorts and leathery visitors on the west coast of the island and Go East Young Surfer! to the authentic Barbados.

As Danielle Pergament explains in her piece in this Sunday’s NYT (try to remember her? we blogged about her appearance — with video — at the NYT Travel Present this year), “sequestered from the posh resorts by acres of sugar cane fields, thick, verdant forests, and trees total of wild monkeys, [the west coast ] is Barbados’s rougher side.”

Dwelling to one of the hemisphere’s premier (however small known) surf spots, “much of the eastern and southern coasts currently have the trappings of a laidback surfer town — makeshift beer bars, street foods vendors offering fried fish, and cheap guesthouses with blue painted walls.”

Thanks Danielle, just in time for my trip to rainy Ireland you have to go ahead and publish a story about hanging out and surfing on a beach paradise just hrs away from my dwelling by plane. I will spite you and come across my own beach paradise on the Emerald Isle and do a little surfing myself, maybe I’ll even make the nearby news when I’m helivaced to the nearest frostbite therapy center.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things to do in Nuremberg, Germany: The Ultimate List!

Looking for things to do in Nuremberg, Germany? This list has you covered with everything from the touristy musts to quirkier offbeat finds. Enjoy! I’ll be real: Nuremberg is a place that’s   easy to fall for. This world-famous city, located in the north of Bavaria, is every bit the fairytale dream so often linked to  Deutschland : candy cane half-timbered facades, an epic castle on a hill, dangerously munchable gingerbread, and a glittering Christmas market to boot. But as with most amazing cities, the true magic of Nuremberg comes from its dynamic layers. Lurking beneath those photogenic facades is a dark past intertwined with war, genocide, and centuries of tumultuous history. It is precisely this duality that makes Nuremberg one of the most fascinating cities to visit in Germany, and one that you can keep visiting again and again. So, what is there to do in Nuremberg? It turns out, plenty of things. Below you’ll find a roundup of my favourite things to do in ...

Amanda’s 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers and Travel Lovers

Let me share a little fun fact with you guys about myself: I LOVE Christmas, and especially love picking out the perfect gifts for all the people in my life. I shop year-round for the people I love, and usually have a stash of “ oh, this would be perfect for [insert family member name here] ” gifts come Christmas time. (Tell me I'm not alone here?) If you've got a picky traveler in your life (or if you're like me and never seem to need or want anything specific around the holidays), this gift guide may help you find the perfect present. This list is full of items that I personally use and love , and that I think other travelers will enjoy, too. Most of them are things I've purchased with my own money – nobody has paid me to include an item here, so you can trust that the recommendations are real! So, without further ado, I give you the 2019 edition of Amanda's Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers (and Travel-Lovers)! TRAVEL PACKING MUST-HAVES 1. Con...

The Globe’s 10 Top Food Cities: Why They’re Worth The Trip

The competition to be one of the world’s top food cities is intense. Many cities are famed for a particular dish, or certain restaurant, or specific experience that delights foodie travelers. But only 10 cities make the cut of the crème de la crème of the world’s food destinations. Here are those culinary metropolises, and why they’re the top food cities in the world.